Day to day showering can have a pretty big impact on your shower head. Depending upon where you live in the country, limescale can very quickly build up blocking your shower head, providing a less than satisfactory shower experience.
The simple method that many of us in the office use at home is really simple, and really cheap. The method can be applied to both fixed shower heads and removable shower heads – so it doesn’t matter which type of shower you have – it still works.
What you will need:
- A container. This can be a plastic bag, but needs to be big enough to fit your shower head in. Freezer bags can work, but for larger shower heads – a carrier bag also does the trick. Buckets and plastic containers can also be used.
- Vinegar & water – In equal measures.
- Fill your plastic bag/container with 50% vinegar, 50% water.
- Slip the shower head into the bag/container, ensuring that it is fully submerged.
- Leave for several hours submerged.
- Remove from the container, run the shower for a few minutes to clear out any residue – and your shower head will be clean.
No need for expensive chemicals, or a replacement shower head. Let us know how you get on with this method.
Self-Cleaning Shower Heads
If limescale is a consistent problem in your home, Mira do an excellent range of products called the ‘Everclear’. The showerhead, and associated fittings hold unique designs which resist limescale build-up. The shower head for example has an automatic self-drain, as well as integrated pins for easy cleaning of the nozzles.